[galib] Fine tuning of Galib

Chris Chapman cnchapman at msn.com
Sat Mar 17 17:07:08 EDT 2012

Hi Paul --
You'd need to tell us a little more about the problem: e.g., a general sense of what you're optimizing, the range of solutions (is 4 particularly close to 0 or not?), and any insight you have about the granularity of the fitness landscape (e.g., should one realistically ever expect to reach 0)
In general, having partial credit in a fitness function (which it sounds like have) is a good thing; you might reconsider however that works and tinker with it (e.g., transform the distance; combine a second measure; etc). Trying a larger population and different crossover + mutation methods are the other obvious levers.  Beyond that and similar generic advice, there's not enough to go on.