[galib] About the objetive function

Sri Kanajan kskk02 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 16:44:31 EDT 2008

the objective function represents your optimization goal. In mathematical
programming, this is explicitly defined as a maximization or minimization of
a specific function that tends to be dependent on your decision variables.

In a GA formulation, the objective function is reflected by the fitness
funtion. Essentially, this function is evaluated for every generation of
alleles that is generated. The fitness function is a function of all the
alleles for a specific individual. Essentially this score represents how
good that specific solution is. As the genetic algorithm progresses and
generates new individuals, individuals with a higher score are kept and used
to generate mutated individuals that potentially could have a better score.

Hope this helps.

sri