[galib] "Archive has no index" Error

Zheng, Lin ERDC-TEC-VA Lin.Zheng at erdc.usace.army.mil
Wed Apr 5 11:19:11 EDT 2006

Hi All,
    I have successfully compiled the ga library on Linux using g++.  When I
was trying to build a source file, the compiler returned the following error:
"/local/Experiments/lib/libga.a: could not read symbols: Archive has no
index; run ranlib to add one
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status"
   I ran ranlib several times, but the compiler still gave the same error.  I
tried to search and understand what "ranlib" means, but it was just
confusing.
  Should I rebuild the library again?  Did any of you had the same problem
before?  Please give me some advices or suggestions.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Lin