[galib] Help on Compile Galib in VC++6.0

Lin Zheng lariesjz03 at msn.com
Thu Oct 20 09:42:36 EDT 2005

Hi,
  I have spent several hours trying to compile the ga library in VC++6.0,
and I am not successful.
  I have read through most of the threads and tried most of the solutions
offered, and I still got the same errors.  I don't know what I am doing
wrong, so could anyone please help me fix my errors.
  Following are the steps I took in compiling the ga library:

  1. After unzipped the ga246, I made a new directory named "galib" under
the current ga directory where all the source files and headers files
reside.

  2. Created a new static lib project in VC++6.0 in galib directory, and I
named it also galib.

  3. Right-clicked on the "Header Files" directory in the project and chose
"Add Files to Folder...", I imported all header files in the ga directory
into that directory.

  4. I did the same thing for source codes.

  5. In VC++6.0, I went to the menu, Tools->Options->Directories tab.  I
entered the path where all the header files are in the ga directory into the
"Show directories for: ".

  6. I definded the NO_STREAMS setting in the VC++6.0 compiler section of
the gaconfig.h.

  7. I went to the menu, Project->Settings->C/C++ tabk and manually typed in
/TP flag for both debug and release.

  8. Still in the C/C++ tab, I selected "C++ Language" and checked "Enable
Run Time Type Information".

  After comiling, these are the errors I got (Only copied some of them, but
total 32 errors):
--------------------Configuration: galib - Win32 Debug--------------------
Compiling...
GATreeGenome.C
d:\microsoft visual studio\galib246\ga\gatreegenome.c(350) : fatal error
C1010: unexpected end of file while looking for precompiled header directive
GA1DBinStrGenome.C
d:\microsoft visual studio\galib246\ga\ga1dbinstrgenome.c(712) : fatal error
C1010: unexpected end of file while looking for precompiled header directive
GA2DArrayGenome.C
Error executing cl.exe.

galib.lib - 32 error(s), 5 warning(s)

   After I read through couple threads, I learned I could disable the
precompile header option to fix the errors.  But following are the errors I
got (Only copied some of them, but total 32 errors).  It seems like it could
not find the header files, but I already inserted the path for it in the
include files.  I don't know what I am doing wrong.  I would really
appreciate if someone can help me on this.  Thanks in advance.   Lin Zheng

-------------------Configuration: galib - Win32 Debug--------------------
Compiling...
GATreeGenome.C
d:\microsoft visual studio\galib246\ga\gatreegenome.c(16) : fatal error
C1083: Cannot open include file: 'ga/GATreeGenome.h': No such file or
directory
GA1DBinStrGenome.C
d:\microsoft visual studio\galib246\ga\ga1dbinstrgenome.c(15) : fatal error
C1083: Cannot open include file: 'ga/gaerror.h': No such file or directory
GA2DArrayGenome.C
d:\microsoft visual studio\galib246\ga\ga2darraygenome.c(17) : fatal error
C1083: Cannot open include file: 'ga/garandom.h': No such file or directory

Generating Code...
Error executing cl.exe.

galib.lib - 32 error(s), 0 warning(s)