[galib] GASteadyStateGA & replacement of worst genomes

Johannes Zellner johannes at zellner.org
Sat Jul 2 06:12:30 EDT 2005

Hello,

The source code of the GASteadyStateGA::step() function tells:

    [...]
    If a genome in the tmp population is worse than one in the main
    population, the genome in the main population will be replaced
    regardless of its better score.
    [...]

but the documentation tells:

    [...]
    Newly generated offspring are added to the population, then the worst
    individuals are destroyed (so the new offspring may or may not make it
    into the population, depending on whether they are better than the
    worst in the population).
    [...]

What is correct? -- As I understand the comment in the source code,
newly generated genomes of the "tmp" population ALWAYS make it into
the main population, eventually replacing better genomes of the main
population.

A quick look into the source code make me belive that the doumentation
is correct and newly created genomes of the main population make it
only into the main population if their fitness is sufficiently well.

Any comments appreciated.

--
Johannes