[galib] Deme GA

Camilo Gomez camgomez at nmsu.edu
Wed Jun 2 15:42:03 EDT 2004

Has anyone used GAdeme with different parameters for the ga for each
population?

Say I want 3 populations of the same size but the following parameters:
1) pMut=0.01
   pCross =1
2) pMut = 0.05
   pCross = 0.95
3) pMut = 0.2
   pCross = 0.8

What I want to do is protect the master population (the one that has the
best individuals of all) from a high mutation probability. I want to
increase this mutation probability because my search space is huge and I
always want to keep searching areas of my search space. To do so, I
increase the mutation probability but this high mutation rate messes up
good candidates if this pMut is applied to all the elements in my
population. Then the GA will have a really hard time converging to an
optimum point.

But if I isolate these mutation probabilities in different populations I
can keep the best candidates migrating from one population to the next.
I want to do this because I do not like elitism so instead I want the
best say because they migrate to a better place instead of just being
picked!

Any ideas on how to do this?
Do you think that this method can get a higher performance than a
SimpleGA with elitism?

Camilo Gómez

"About 60 million transistors were built this year just for you, with
another 60 million for each of your friends, plus 60 million for every
other man, woman, and child on Earth. By 2010, the number should be
around one billion transistors per person per year. "

http://www.embedded.com/story/OEG20021217S0039