[galib] galib compiles on mac os x

kevin knaus kknaus at emich.edu
Thu Aug 12 01:35:25 EDT 2004

Hello All:

The installation instructions for galib refer to MacOS, which I assume is pre "OS X."

For future reference, galib does seem to compile on OS X.  (I am using OS X 10.2 with gcc 3.1)

Initially when running make I got this error...

g++ randtest.o -o randtest -L../ga -lga -lm
ld: archive: ../ga/libga.a has no table of contents, add one with ranlib(1) (can't load from it)
make[1]: *** [randtest] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

In the ga directory in galib245 I ran...

$ ranlib ga/libga.a

continued with make, then make install.  Finally, once libga was installed it was necessary again to...

$ ranlib /usr/local/lib/libga.a
The examples compile and run fine.

--Kevin