evolving neural net

Yossi Mossel ymossel at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 19 09:52:10 EST 2003

Hello Yip,

I have been evolving neural networks with galib for quite a while now.
My networks control artificial agents in simulated environments. Hopefully
you can learn from my experience.

I had some problems initially when using galib. Most of these were a result
of the fact that my objective function was a noisy one - it does not give
the same value for a genome in different runs.  I am not sure from your post
whether you expect the same or not.
Just in case I'll mention a few pointers regarding using galib with a noisy
activation function.

- You should implement a population evaluator which always reevaluates the
population, something like:

void MyPopEvaluator(GAPopulation & p)
{
  for(int i=0; i<p.size(); i++)
    p.individual(i).evaluate(gaTrue);
}

- Elitism as implemented in the simplega did not work for me.  The best
agent is usually not really the best but just the "luckiest" in the current
generation.  I had better success using the steady state algorithm with 0.9
replacement rate.  I had some problems with the statistics due to this.  If
you search in google for me (yossi mossel) you should find an old post to
this group regarding this.

And other pointers:

- In neural networks improvments are typically very small.  I found that
using a linear scaling scheme as implemented in galib to be quite helpful.

- I would play around with the mutation operator.  Try gaussian and uniform
mutation - see if it make a different.

- I evolved populations of size 100 for about 250 generations.  This would
take 4 hours.  If your objective function takes 6-7 minutes your runs might
be unreasonably long.

hope this is helps,

Yossi Mossel
Computational Neuroscience