[E&E seminars] ESI Seminar June 1 @ 4pm -- Janelle Thompson

Kurt Sternlof kurtster at MIT.EDU
Tue May 25 10:55:04 EDT 2010

Howdy Folks,

The fifth and final ESI Young Faculty Seminar of the semester is fast approaching next Tuesday, June 1st at 4 p.m. in 54-915...reception to follow.

Please spread the word and feel free to print, post and distribute the attached poster.  These talks are free and open to the public....any and all are welcome.

Janelle Thompson, Doherty Assistant Professor in Civil & Environmental Engineering will regale us with her talk:

Land and Sea: Microbial processes from corals to carbon sequestration

Microorganisms drive global cycles of carbon and energy and are integral to the health of living systems at scales from the microscopic to the geologic. Research in our Microbial Ecology and Engineering Lab aims to understand how microbial communities influence the integrity of perturbed environments at multiple scales. Our projects include exploring how shifts in microbial activity mediate the balance between health and disease in reef-building corals; and studying the nature and engineering applications of microbial populations isolated from subsurface carbon sequestration sites, which remarkably can grow in supercritical carbon dioxide conditions. We also are developing a model system of a well-characterized sea anemone and its' associated microbial community to help us understand the role microbes play in acclimatizing 'hosts' to different environments. These three unique 'problem spaces' are unified by our view of microbial systems as integral to the functioning of living systems at every scale.

Don't miss it!

Also, many thanks to EAPS Assistant Professor Taylor Perron for his excellent talk on May 4th.

The ESI Seminar Series will resume in September, so stay tuned....and have a great summer.

Cheers,

Kurt

Kurt Sternlof, Ph.D.
Executive Director