[E&E seminars] Tomorrow: MITEI Colloquium - Frances Beinecke: Can We Meet the Planet's Deadline?

Jameson Twomey jtwomey at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 6 11:46:52 EDT 2009

The MIT Energy Initiative invites you to join us tomorrow to hear
Frances Beinecke, President of the Natural Resources Defense Council,
deliver a lecture entitled: “Can We Meet the Planet's Deadline?
Battling Climate Change on the Road to Copenhagen”. Additional details
can be found here on the MITEI website. If you have any questions,
please contact Jameson Twomey at jtwomey at mit.edu.

Can We Meet the Planet's Deadline?
Battling Climate Change on the Road to Copenhagen

Frances Beinecke
President, Natural Resources Defense Council

Wednesday, October 7

Lecture at 4:15
Reception to follow

Room 34-101
50 Vassar Street
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Abstract

Current science tells us that we must act now in order to prevent the
worst impacts of global warming.  The international community, mean-
while, is meeting this December in Copenhagen to negotiate a new
climate regime. Is the United States moving fast enough to meet these
deadlines? Will we pass a clean energy and climate law in time to
emerge as a leader at the international talks?

Frances Beinecke will answer these questions, and discuss the
political outlook for passing a climate law this fall. She will also
talk about the role MIT students can play in developing clean energy
technologies, including super-efficient electronics, hybrid batteries,
and carbon capture for coal plants.

In the end, reaching climate goals will require not just technical
know-how, but civic engagement as well, and Beinecke will talk about
how MIT students can get involved.

About the Speaker

Frances Beinecke is the president of the NRDC, one of the United
States’ most influential environmental action groups. The NRDC uses
law, science, and the support of 1.2 million members and online
activists to advance comprehensive solutions to today’s biggest
environmental challenges. Under Ms. Beinecke’s leadership, the
organization has launched a new strategic campaign that sharply
focuses NRDC’s efforts on curbing global warming, moving America
beyond oil, reviving the world’s oceans, saving endangered wild
places, stemming the tide of toxic chemicals, and accelerating the
greening of China. Ms. Beinecke has worked with NRDC for more than 30
years.

In addition to her work at NRDC, Ms. Beinecke has played a leadership
role in several other environmental organizations. She currently
serves on the boards of the World Resources Institute, the Energy
Future Coalition, and Conservation International’s Center for
Environmental Leadership in Business. She has been a member of the
boards of the Wilderness Society, the China-U.S. Center for
Sustainable Development, and the New York League of Conservation Voters.