[E&E seminars] Nano-Energy Seminar Today, 3-4 PM, Rm 3-370

Karen Gibson kgibson at MIT.EDU
Thu May 21 09:03:28 EDT 2009

Mechanical Engineering Department Seminar
Nanomaterials Manufacturing  for Mechanical and Energy Applications

Prof. Z. F. Ren
Department of Physics
Boston College

Thursday, May 21, 2009

3-4 PM

Room 3-370

Abstract
Nanomaterials have many potential applications in mechanical and
energy systems due to their special structural and physical
properties.  Such applications often require large scale materials
manufacturing at a low cost.  In this talk, I will discuss three
topical areas where nanomaterials can be manufactured at large scale
and their potential applications: 1) manufacturing of carbon nanotubes
and other nanomaterials and their mechanical properties, 2) a new
nanoscale design for potentially high efficiency solar photovoltaic
cells, and 3) high performance nanostructured thermoelectric materials
for solid-state energy conversion between heat and electricity. In
area 1, I will describe our discovery of growing aligned carbon
nanotube arrays, controlling their diameter, length, orientation,
location, and site density; and our in-situ TEM study of the
mechanical deformation and superplasticity of CNTs.  The oriented CNTs
led to a novel concept of nano coax for high efficiency solar energy
conversion by making the photon and carrier travel perpendicularly.
Such a device configuration promises high efficiency. Finally, I will
demonstrate our recent success on large scale manufacturing of
nanostructured thermoelectric materials with improved thermoelectric
figure of merit via a nanocomposite approach, and elaborate the
potential of using these enhanced materials for energy conversion
between heat and electricity.
Refreshments will be served before the seminar.