[E&E seminars] MITEI Seminar Series: Nate Lewis - March 10

Jameson Twomey jtwomey at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 3 13:51:52 EST 2009

We are pleased to announce the sixth speaker of the 2008-2009 MITEI
Seminar Series. We hope you will join us Tuesday, March 10th as we
welcome Nate Lewis, the George L. Argyros Professor of Chemistry at
Caltech.

Sunlight-driven hydrogen formation by membrane-supported
photoelectrochemical water splitting
Nate Lewis

Date: March 10th
Time: 4:15-5:45 - Light refreshments to follow
Location: 66-110 (Landau Building, 25 Ames Street)

Abstract

Although sunlight is the most abundant energy resource, a complete
energy system must involve the capture, conversion and storage of
sunlight.  Other than nuclear processes, the most energy dense form of
energy storage is in the form of chemical bonds.  Nature performs this
process using photosynthesis however CO2 is at a rather low
concentration in the atmosphere and hence the mass flux of CO2 to the
surface of the earth will provide an ultimate upper bound on the rate
and therefore the efficiency of carbon-based photosynthesis.  Water,
however, is available in a concentrated liquid form and thus is a more
readily reducible substrate to produce fuel from the sun.  Hence photo-
chemically derived water-splitting is an attractive option to provide
globally-scalable solar energy capture, conversion and storage
processes.

This talk will discuss the research frontier involved with the
development of an integrated system based on semiconductor nanowires
that act as artificial photosynthetic pigments, which bridge a
membrane and are coupled to catalysts that both reduce water to
hydrogen and oxidize water to oxygen.  All these components in an
artificial photosynthetic system must work together and in synergy for
the entire process to be successful.  Our research efforts have
focused primarily on the development and implementation of
semiconductor nanorod arrays that can provide the ability to use
impure, low-cost, stable inorganic light absorbers in the presence of
organic, plastic, processable polymer membranes, to provide the
capture and conversion steps and couple to the catalytic steps needed
for a solar-based water-splitting system.

About the Speaker

Dr. Nathan Lewis, George L. Argyros Professor of Chemistry, has been
on the faculty at the California Institute of Technology since 1988
and has served as Professor since 1991. He has also served as the
Principal Investigator of the Beckman Institute Molecular Materials
Resource Center at Caltech since 1992. From 1981 to 1986, he was on
the faculty at Stanford, as an assistant professor from 1981 to 1985
and as a tenured Associate Professor from 1986 to 1988. Dr. Lewis
received his Ph.D in Chemistry from the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology.

Dr. Lewis has been an Alfred P. Sloan Fellow, a Camille and Henry
Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar, and a Presidential Young Investigator. He
received the Fresenius Award in 1990, the ACS Award in Pure Chemistry
in 1991, the Orton Memorial Lecture award in 2003, the Princeton
Environmental Award in 2003 and the Michael Faraday Medal of the Royal
Society of Electrochemistry in 2008. He is currently the Editor-in-
Chief of Energy & Environmental Science.  He has published over 300
papers and has supervised approximately 60 graduate students and
postdoctoral associates.

We hope you will join us!

We thank CERA for its sponsorship of the MITEI Seminar Series.