[E&E seminars] MITEI Seminar Series: Severin Borenstein - May 5

Jameson Twomey jtwomey at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 30 16:25:09 EDT 2009

We are pleased to announce the final speaker of the 2008-2009 MITEI
Seminar Series. We hope you will join us Tuesday, May 5th as we
welcome Severin Borenstein, the E.T. Grether Professor of Business
Administration and Public Policy at the Hass School of Business, UC
Berkeley and Director of the University of California Energy Institute.

Meeting US Energy and Climate Challenges with Rational Policy

Tuesday, May 5th
4:15 PM - Reception to follow
66-110 (Landau Building, 25 Ames Street)

Abstract
As US energy challenges mount, the public and political debate
continues to demonstrate disturbing misunderstandings of both the
problems and potential solutions. The US faces three distinct energy
challenges:   maintaining moderate energy costs in order to benefit
the economy, controlling greenhouse gases and other environmental
damage from energy use, and reducing the geopolitical consequences of
dependence on crude oil.  Though some policies help to address all
three challenges, often tackling one of these problems exacerbates the
others. Borenstein will discuss the logic and fallacies behind
government energy policies, from taxes (implicit or explicit) on
greenhouse gas emissions, to tax incentives for domestic oil
exploration, to support for energy efficiency improvements or basic
energy science research. The energy challenges that the US faces are
serious, but by adhering to a few basic economic principles, the cost
of meeting these challenges can be kept manageable.

About the Speaker

Severin Borenstein is E.T. Grether Professor of Business
Administration and Public Policy at the Haas School of Business and
Director of the University of California Energy Institute, where he is
also co-Director of the Institute's Center for the Study of Energy
Markets.  He received his A.B. from U.C. Berkeley in 1978 and Ph.D. in
Economics from M.I.T. in 1983.  His research focuses on business
competition, strategy, and regulation.  He has published extensively
on the airline industry, the oil and gasoline industries, and
electricity markets.  His current research projects include empirical
and theoretical work on competition in gasoline markets; market power
and pricing issues in restructured electricity markets; strategic
pricing and financial distress in the airline industry; and the
incentives of firms to cut costs and improve efficiency.

We thank CERA for its ongoing sponsorship of the Series.