[E&E seminars] Special Seminar - Wednesday - Dr. Pat Dehmer, DOE: Facing Our Energy Challenges in a New Era of Science

Jameson Twomey jtwomey at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 3 16:23:28 EST 2008

Good afternoon, all.

We are pleased to announce a special seminar this Wednesday featuring
Dr. Pat Dehmer, Deputy Director of Science Programs at the Department
of Energy. Please contact Jeff McAulay (jmc3 at mit.edu) for additional
information.

Facing Our Energy Challenges in a New Era of Science

Wednesday, November 5th
Time: 4:30-5:30
Room: 34-101

Dr. Pat Dehmer has extensive experience in research and in
administration. She held the position of senior scientist at Argonne
National Laboratory, working in the field of atomic, molecular, and
optical physics. She was recruited in 1995 to the position of
Associate Director for Basic Energy Sciences in the Office of Science,
with the Program budget rising from approximately $600M in FY 1994 to
the President's request of $1.5B in FY 2008. During the period that
she led Basic Energy Sciences, the world's most powerful spallation
neutron source was conceived and built, under budget, ahead of
schedule, and with increased scope. She has shepherded the
construction of the Linac Coherent Light Source at the Stanford Linear
Accelerator Center and the National Synchrotron Light Source II at
Brookhaven National Laboratory. She has built the structure and hired
the personnel that have made Basic Energy Sciences a powerful element
in the nation's scientific portfolio.

We hope you will join us!