[E&E seminars] 11/13 - The Greening of MIT - Women's League Stratton Lecture

Beth Conlin bconlin at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 7 11:23:53 EST 2007

The Greening of MIT

A Conversation with Four Distinguished Advocates for Energy Sustainability

November 13 4pm to 6 pm

Wong Auditorium, Building E51

The energy challenge facing the world today is not just enormous, it is
critical. Experienced observers suggest that we have just ten years to cut
our carbon emissions by 80 percent at the same time that they project the
demand for energy will double. It is not enough to reduce waste. The
solution is to double the capacity of the energy we derive from non-fossil
fuels. But the capital expenses for round-the-clock sources of this "green"
energy are enormous, while projections for savings are often too far off to
be compelling.

This Critical Issues Lecture brings together four distinguished advocates
for energy sustainability who are devoting much of their professional lives
to the search for energy-efficient solutions to the global warming that
challenges and threatens our world today. In the words of a well-known
climatologist, "Global warming is not a political issue, it is a scientific
issue. Mother Nature is something we have not yet conquered."

The panel:

Rebecca Henderson, moderator, is George Eastman Kodak Leaders for
Manufacturing Professor of Management at the MIT Sloan School of Management.
Her research and consulting focus on the problems encountered by large, high
technology firms as they attempt to harness technology for growth. As a
member of MIT Sloan's Laboratory for Sustainable Business (S-Lab), she works
with clients and students to identify challenges and opportunities inherent
in moving to a low carbon intensive economy.

Mark Beidronis, co-founder of The Willow School in Gladstone, NJ, where he
has supervised the planning, design, and construction of a green campus that
is an ongoing source of ecological thinking in the schools students,
faculty, parents, and community. He is a board member of The University of
Vermont Rubinstein School of Environment and Natural Resources, The New
Jersey Conservation Foundation, and the New York City Outward Bound
Expeditionary Learning Foundation. H chairs the board of The Could Institute
for Sustainability Education he is a LEED Accredited Professional.

William Reed, a practicing architect for more than 25 years, is one of the
nations leading experts on green design. He lectures and consults nationally
to demonstrate that green architecture makes economic as well as
environmental sense. He is also a consultant to the U.S. Green Building
Council and the Department of Energy for the development of the LEED Green
Building Rating System, which treats issues relating to our health and the
health of our ecosystem as a grouped system..

Steven Lanou, deputy director of the Environmental Programs Office at MIT,
leads the Institutes campus-wide sustainability program. He works with all
Institute departments, labs, and centers to develop, promote, and coordinate
policies and initiatives that advance the Institutes commitment to
sustainable practices, minimize the environmental impact of the campus,
provide educational opportunities for students, and ensure sound
environment, health, and safety practices and services throughout the
Institute.

This Stratton Lecture on Critical Issues is the 14th annual event in a
series sponsored by the MIT Women's League to honor Catherine N. Stratton,
wife of the late MIT President Julius Stratton. Kays initiative and energy
have enriched Institute life for more than 60 years, earning her lifelong
recognition as the First Lady of MIT. Another series of Stratton Lectures,
Aging Successfully, honors Kay at MIT every spring.