[Env seminars] MIT Energy Club Lecture Series Today

Kristian Bodek kbodek at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 20 07:49:39 EDT 2006

Dear Folks,

Today is the first Energy Club Lecture Series of the semester. Note the
change of location from last year.

Cheers,

Kristian Bodek

Vice President, MIT <http://web.mit.edu/mit_energy/>  Energy Club

Energy and Manufacturing

Prof. Timothy G. Gutowski, MIT MechE

Wed, Sept. 20, 6-7PM

E51-149 <http://whereis.mit.edu/map-jpg?selection=E51&Buildings=go>  (Tang
Center)

Abstract

The energy used by industry in the U.S. is about 30% of the total used
(including electricity losses) for the three major use sectors;  1)
commercial and residential, 2) industry, and 3) transportation.  The
manufacturing industry accounts for about 80% of industrial use, and designs
and builds all of the equipment used in the other major energy use sectors.
So, manufacturing plays a very big role in energy use in the United States.
We will review what manufacturing is doing with this energy from several
perspectives.  There are three lessons in this talk.

1.                   Energy used by major industrial sectors has been going
down as a function of kg of product produced.  But increased production has
more than off set this.  Hence, energy efficiency alone has not demonstrated
that it has reduced energy use.

2.                   Energy used by some major products show vastly
different trends, with consumers, to a first order, seemingly unaffected by
the energy used by their products.  The case of automobiles and
refrigerators will be contrasted.  The energy used by refrigerators in the
United States has in fact gone down even while production has gone up.

3.                   Manufacturing processes can be thought of as products
with a huge energy appetite.  For your entertainment we compared a
production machine tool to a SUV.  We then look at new manufacturing
processes.  Again to a first order, the energy used per unit of material
processed, by new technologies (nano scale processes, microelectronics
processes, advanced machining processes) exceeds older technologies
(machining, injection molding etc.) by (6-8) orders of magnitude.

4.                   More details on this topic can be found on the class
website for the joint subjects 2.83/2.813. See http://web.mit.edu/2.813/www/