[E&E seminars] Nano-Enabled Energy Conversion and Storage, Oct. 25

Karen Gibson kgibson at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 18 09:42:14 EDT 2006

LFEE Seminar on Energy and Environment
Sponsored by the MIT Laboratory for Energy and the Environment

Nano-Enabled Energy Conversion and Storage-A New Paradigm

Joel Schindall, Ph.D.
Bernard Gordon Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer
Science, and
Associate Director, MIT Laboratory for Electromagnetic and Electronic
Systems

Wednesday
October 25, 2006
12:00 - 1:30 pm
E40-496

Abstract

Many significant efforts are being made to identify and utilize new
energy sources, to increase production of existing sources, to
increase conversion and storage efficiency, and, equally important,
to reduce pollution. However, incremental improvement will not be
sufficient. What is needed are new approaches. At the same time, we
are entering an exciting era where we now have the technology to
engineer materials on a nanometer scale, i.e. at dimensions
comparable to the size of individual atoms and molecules. But what
does nanotechnology have to do with the world's massive energy needs?
In my address, I will explore nanotechnology as an "outside the box"
technology that has the potential to "re-invent" (transform) some
long-known but little-used technologies to the point that they may
offer significant improvement over the accepted ways of converting
and storing energy.

Some of this is already happening. One example is the use of fuel
cells for power conversion. Perhaps this is not thought of as
nanotechnology, but it typically involves designing and fabricating a
nanoscale catalytic structure to implement energy transformation at
the molecular level. Another example is the use of nanostructured
battery electrodes to increase storage capacity and reduce charging
time of traditional chemical batteries.

I believe that the best is yet to come. I will give examples of
several "inefficient" technologies which offer the potential of being
transformed by nanotechnology to the point that they may be superior
to the accepted way of energy processing.

One such transformation would be to use capacitors rather than
batteries for highly-efficient regenerative energy storage.
Ridiculous? Perhaps not. In MIT's Laboratory for Electromagnetic and
Electronic Systems (LEES), we are exploring a nanostructured
ultracapacitor electrode that has the potential to increase a
capacitor's energy storage density to equal that of a chemical
battery. Another technology that we are exploring is the use of
nanostructured emissive coatings and filters to significantly
increase the efficiency of direct thermophotovoltaic (TPV) generation
of electricity from heat. I suspect that some of you may be aware of
or working on other nano-enabled technologies, and I invite you to
add your examples to this list during the seminar.

Bring your lunch - light refreshment will be provided.

Karen  L. Gibson
Program Assistant
MIT Laboratory For Energy and the Environment
77 Massachusetts Avenue, E40-469
(1 Amherst St., E40-469 - for DHL and FedEx)
Cambridge, MA 02139  USA
Tel:  1 (617) 258-6368; Fax:  1 (617) 258-6590