[E&E seminars] Science Policy in the New U.S. Congress: Dec 13, 6-7:30pm, 35-225

Beth Conlin bconlin at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 6 11:07:46 EST 2006

Science Policy in the New U.S. Congress

December 13, 2006

6:00 - 7:30pm, 35-225

http://whereis.mit.edu/map-jpg?mapterms=35-225
<http://whereis.mit.edu/map-jpg?mapterms=35-225&mapsearch=go> &mapsearch=go

With:

  - William Bonvillian

  - Claude Canizares

  - Ernest Moniz

  - Kenneth Oye (moderating)

What were the science policies of the previous Republican Congress, and what
can we expect from the new Democratic one? What changes do the Democrats
want to make, and what changes might we actually see?

* William Bonvillian is the head of MIT's Washington Office.  He worked on
science and technology policy issues with Senator Joseph Lieberman for 16
years.

* Claude Canizares is the Vice President for Research and Associate Provost
at MIT and the Bruno Rossi Professor of Physics. He served on the NASA
Advisory Council and was chair of the Space Studies Board of the National
Research Council and NASA's Space Science Advisory Committee.

* Ernest Moniz is a Professor of Physics at the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology. He served as Under Secretary of the Department of Energy from
October 1997 until January 2001. He also served from 1995 to 1997 as
Associate Director for Science in the Office of Science and Technology
Policy in the Executive Office of the President.

* Kenneth Oye holds a joint appointment as Associate Professor of Political
Science and of Engineering Systems at MIT. He served two terms as Director
of the MIT Center for International Studies (1992-2000).