[E&S-seminars] Prof. N. Lewis (Caltech) Seminar

Gretchen Kappelmann guidess at MIT.EDU
Fri May 21 13:15:30 EDT 2004

THE LABORATORY FOR ENERGY
AND THE ENVIRONMENT (LFEE)
AND
THE DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY
PRESENT

Nathan S. Lewis
Division of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
California Institute of Technology

Scientific Challenges
in the Development of Sustainable Energy
Thursday, May 27, 2004
11:00 am
66-110

Please contact Gretchen for information or appointments.
(guidess at mit.edu or 617 253 9385)

This presentation will describe and evaluate the challenges, both
technical, political, and economic, involved with widespread adoption
of renewable energy technologies. First, we estimate the available
fossil fuel resources and reserves based on data from the World
Energy Assessment and World Energy Council. In conjunction with the
current and projected global primary power production rates, we then
estimate the remaining years of supply of oil, gas, and coal for use
in primary power production. We then compare the price per unit of
energy of these sources to those of renewable energy technologies
(wind, solar thermal, solar electric, biomass, hydroelectric, and
geothermal) to evaluate the degree to which supply/demand forces
stimulate a transition to renewable energy technologies in the next
20-50 years. Secondly, we evaluate the greenhouse gas buildup
limitations on carbon-based power consumption as an unpriced
externality to fossil-fuel consumption, considering global population
growth, increased global gross domestic product, and increased energy
efficiency per unit of globally averaged GDP, as produced by the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). A greenhouse gas
constraint on total carbon emissions, in conjunction with global
population growth, is projected to drive the demand for carbon-free
power well beyond that produced by conventional supply/demand pricing
tradeoffs, at potentially daunting levels relative to current
renewable energy demand levels. Thirdly, we evaluate the level and
timescale of R&D investment that is needed to produce the required
quantity of carbon-free power by the 2050 timeframe, to support the
expected global energy demand for carbon-free power. Fourth, we
evaluate the energy potential of various renewable energy resources
to ascertain which resources are adequately available globally to
support the projected global carbon-free energy demand requirements.
Fifth, we evaluate the challenges to the chemical sciences to enable
the cost-effective production of carbon-free power on the needed
scale by 2050 timeframe. Finally we discuss the effects of a change
in primary power technology on the energy supply infrastructure and
discuss the impact of such a change on the modes of energy
consumption by the energy consume and additional demands on the
chemical sciences to support such a transition in energy supply.