[E&S-seminars] Fwd: Sustainable Cities IAP Workshop

Karen Gibson kgibson at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 5 10:20:23 EST 2004

Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 00:07:34 -0500
To: sfgs at mit.edu, save at mit.edu, greens at mit.edu, agraham at mit.edu,
    hemisphere-announce at mit.edu, curtisjt at mit.edu, mhunter at mit.edu,
    jcosgrov at mit.edu, shawdee eshghi <shawdee at mit.edu>, thread at mit.edu,
    phrj-all at mit.edu, kgibson at mit.edu, molina-lab at mit.edu,
    mexico-regular at mit.edu, jisteinf at mit.edu, amostai at mit.edu, eso at bu.edu,
    Will DelHagen <willd at mit.edu>, martafs at mit.edu, gradadmins at mit.edu,
    ugradadmins at mit.edu, envit at mit.edu, tybeg at bu.edu, tpp03 at mit.edu,
tpp02 at mit.edu, tpp01 at mit.edu,
    tmp-tpp at mit.edu, pugwash-request at mit.edu, sci-tech-students at mit.edu,
    sci-tech-public at mit.edu, ctpid at mit.edu, hurryupandwait at mit.edu,
    IntlDevelopmentNetwork at yahoogroups.com
From: Philip Sheehy <sheehy at MIT.EDU>
Subject: Sustainable Cities IAP Workshop

Are you interested in sustainable development?  Want to learn more
about Cambridge?  Want to learn more about Cambridge WHILE learning
more about sustainable development?

Sustainable Cities: Cambridge 2020

Course description:
We will gather relevant and pertinent information about how Cambridge
operates today - including, but not limited to: energy-use and CO2
emissions, land-use, transportation, water, building standards, etc.
In these same areas, we will collect information about 'best
practices' - innovative and original ideas that have led to more
sustainable cities around the world.

The data collected about Cambridge will serve as the parameters
and/or constraints for development.  The collection of 'best
practices' will provide inspiration for creative thinking on the
students' part.  Students will then work in groups - groups will be
determined by similar interests of participating students.  Working
both within their group - and with other groups - students will
develop a vision of Cambridge 2020.

What will Cambridge look like 15 years from now?  What could it look
like?  Help us find out.

When and where the class meets:
Tuesday and Thursday for 90 mins.  The class will be highly
interactive and around lunch time - feel free to bring your lunch.
The first class will meet at 11:30AM on Tuesday January 6, 2004.  We
will meet in 4-370.

See you on the 6th.

please email sfgs-request at mit.edu with any questions
--