[E&S-seminars] March 3 - Air Quality, Infant Mortality and the Clean Air Act, 1970

Karen Gibson kgibson at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 26 13:08:54 EST 2004

Environment and Sustainability Seminar Series
Sponsored by the MIT Laboratory for Energy and the Environment
<http://lfee.mit.edu>

Air Quality, Infant Mortality, and the Clean Air Act of 1970

Michael Greenstone, Associate Professor
Department of Economics

Wednesday, March 3, 2004
12:00 - 1:30 p.m.
E40-496

Abstract
We examine the effects of total suspended particulates (TSPs) air
pollution on infant health using the air quality improvements induced
by the 1970 Clean Air Act Amendments (CAAA). This legislation imposed
strict regulations on industrial polluters in nonattainment' counties
with TSPs concentrations exceeding the federal ceiling. We use
nonattainment status as an instrumental variable for TSPs changes to
estimate their impact on infant mortality changes in the first year
that the 1970 CAAA was in force. TSPs nonattainment status is
associated with sharp reductions in both TSPs pollution and infant
mortality from 1971 to 1972. The greater reductions in nonattainment
counties near the federal ceiling relative to the attainment'
counties narrowly below the ceiling suggest that the regulations are
the cause. We estimate that a one percent decline in TSPs results in
a 0.5 percent decline in the infant mortality rate. Most of these
effects are driven by a reduction in deaths occurring within one
month of birth, suggesting that fetal exposure is a potential
biological pathway. The results imply that roughly 1,300 fewer
infants died in 1972 than would have in the absence of the Clean Air
Act.

Paper available:
http://www.nber.org/papers/w10053.pdf

Light refreshments will be provided.
Karen  L. Gibson
Program Assistant
MIT Laboratory For Energy and the Environment
77 Massachusetts Avenue, E40-469
(1 Amherst St., E40-469 - for DHL and FedEx)
Cambridge, MA 02139  USA
Tel:  1 (617) 258-6368; Fax:  1 (617) 258-6590
http://lfee.mit.edu
http://globalsustainability.org