[ecco-support] Calculating transports with gcmfaces in Matlab

Samar Khatiwala samkat6 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 05:58:12 EDT 2024

Hello,

I'm trying to reproduce the calculations for the overturning streamfunction
described on
https://ecco-v4-python-tutorial.readthedocs.io/ECCO_v4_Example_OSNAP.html
with the Matlab version of gcmfaces. The OSNAP example described in the
tutorial uses the python function calc_section_stf which returns 'psi_moc'.
I can't quite figure out what the equivalent Matlab function is. The
documentation refers to calc_overturn.m and calc_transports.m, but the
former returns transports for all (179) quasi-zonal lines, while the output
of calc_transports is nowhere close to what is plotted in the tutorial.
After looking through the python code the closest I've gotten is with:

lonPairs=[-44 -5;-56 -45];
latPairs=[60 56;51 60];
names={'OSNAP East','OSNAP West'};
gcmfaces_lines_transp(lonPairs,latPairs,names);
T=calc_transports(uTrans,vTrans,mygrid.LINES_MASKS,{'dh','dz','hfac'});
psi_moc=cumsum(T')/1e6;

But I'm not confident this is correct. Can someone please tell me if this
is right and if not what the correct way is?

Thanks,

Samar