[ecco-support] What is the definition of mixed layer depth for the ECCO2 data

Joe Smith jxh207256 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 10:59:19 EDT 2024

Dear professors,
    I am a doctoral student. And I want to download ECCO2 mixed layer depth
data (
https://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/drive/files/ECCO2/cube92_latlon_quart_90S90N/daily/MXLDEPTH
)
and compare it with my MODEL.
    My question is,
    1. What is the *definition of mixed layer depth* for the ECCO2 data ?
    2. Which *variable* is used to calculate the mixed layer depth ?
potential temperature? potential density? or in-situ density?
    3. What is the *criteria* of the mixed layer depth ? e.g., if potential
density is used to calculated mixed layer depth, and I suppose the
reference depth is 10 meters, and what is the criteria of density
difference between the density at the mixed layer depth and the density at
the reference depth (10 meters)?

    Best wishes.
    Joe Smith