[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] Re: Global integral of vertical momentum flux not zero?

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at mit.edu
Fri Jul 12 12:12:12 EDT 2024

Hi Ou,

One thing to keep in mind with z* is that "wVel" does not match "w*" of the 2004 z* paper
but is instead "= w* x (H+Eta)/H".

Now with z* and useRealFreshWaterFlux=T :
1) at the surface: wVel is equal to EmPmR/rho_const (EmPmR in kg/m2/s), so it's not zero,
  and my impression (to confirm) is that the fresh-water balancing that is used here is
  applied at the top of ocean+seaice, so the horizontal integral of wVel at the surface
  is not zero (but remains small).
2) at depth, the horizontal integral of wVel is not zero, because of z* and non uniform depth.
  It's probably easier to see it from eq. 11 of the 2004 paper, if you integrate vertically this
  eq from the zery bottom to the level k (at z* = zk*), as done in the model to compute wVel,
  the first term gives (zk* + H)/H d.Eta/dt ; the second term (divergence of horizontal transport)
  will not contribute to horizontal integral ; and the third term is just wVel at zk*.
  With a flat bottom, the depth scaling in the first term can be moved ouside the horizontal integral,
  so that the horizontal integral of wVel will scale as a fraction of the integral of d.Eta/dt
  (and will be small).
  But with a non uniform H (i.e., not a flat bottom), the horizontal integral of wVel
  is not constrained by the horizontal integral of d.Eta/dt ; it depends on the product
  of d.Eta/dt with (zk* + H)/H and could be larger, especially if, locally, d.Eta/dt is larger
  (e.g. with tides or with higth frequency forcing).

Cheers,
Jean-Michel