[ecco-support] Questions about ECCOv4r3

樊明顺 12234017 at zju.edu.cn
Tue Apr 16 05:04:07 EDT 2024

Dear Sir/Madam,

My name is Mingshun Fan, and I am a doctoral student from Zhejiang University, China. I am reaching out to you via email to inquire about a question regarding the wind stress data of ECCOv4r3.

I have processed the zonal wind stress data, which is available every 6 hours, into monthly averaged data (shown on the right side of the attached figure) from the directory ECCO/ECCOv4/Release3/input_forcing/. I intend to compare it with the pre-existing monthly averaged zonal wind stress data (shown on the left side of the attached figure) from the directory ECCO/ECCOv4/Release3/nctiles_monthly/oceTAUE/. However, I noticed that there is a difference of a positive/negative sign between the two datasets. Based on my existing knowledge of oceanography, the zonal wind stress in this region should be positive (eastward). Could you please help me understand why the sign in the right figure is opposite? I believe this might be a minor issue, but I am struggling to identify the reason. Therefore, I am reaching out to seek your advice.

Thank you very much.  I am looking forward to your reply.

Best,

Mingshun Fan