[ecco-support] VT closure North Atlantic

Helene Asbjørnsen H.Asbjornsen at uib.no
Fri Mar 4 04:28:33 EST 2022

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get some pointers on how to correctly calculate meridional volume transports across zonal lines on the ECCOv4 native grid.

I’ve been looking at calc_MeridionalTransports.m, which is helpful. But I ultimately want to end up with a full 3D velocity/VT field for the North Atlantic to do further operations on (so only ending up with one total transport value at each latitude is not ideal).

Some details:

I’ve extracted face 1 and 5 and pieced the fields together (recognising that VVEL is -UVEL and dx is dy for face 5). I’ve tried to integrate transports along the x-dimension of the extracted North Atlantic area, but also along near zonal and meridional lines based on output from gcmfaces_lines_zonal.m.

I end up not getting a near zero net transport at around 62N in the North Atlantic. The imbalance is large - around 6 Sv or so, and seems to originate from the part of the section east of Greenland.

All help is much appreciated,

Helene