[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] Downloading v4r4 daily products

Fenty, Ian G (US 329B) ian.fenty at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jan 18 16:21:51 EST 2022

Hi Vincent,

Good news!  You can access the daily THETA and SALT fields from ECCO V4r4 using the command.  The files are hosted on NASA’s PO.DAAC.   Instructions can be found from V4r4 product page, https://ecco-group.org/products-ECCO-V4r4.htm

Details for downloading the files using wget (command line) or python (jupyter notebook) can be found from this link:
https://github.com/ECCO-GROUP/ECCO-ACCESS/blob/master/PODAAC/Downloading_ECCO_datasets_from_PODAAC/README.md

If you want to use wget, you’ll see in the instructions that you first must get a list of the file urls to download from the earthdata.nasa.gov portal
https://search.earthdata.nasa.gov/portal/podaac-cloud/search

Search for "ECCO Ocean Temperature and Salinity"
https://search.earthdata.nasa.gov/portal/podaac-cloud/search?q=%22ECCO%20Ocean%20Temperature%20and%20Salinity%22&tl=1642540191.656!3!!

You’ll find 5 results,  daily and monthly mean fields on the model grid (llc90) and on a regular lat-lon grid (0.5 degree).  daily snapshots for the llc90 grid are also provided.

Downloading the files using jupyter notebook/python method is a little easier because you only have to specify the dataset names (collection names).  The collection names for the daily mean, monthly mean, and daily snapshot on the llc90 model grid are:

ECCO_L4_TEMP_SALINITY_LLC0090GRID_DAILY_V4R4
ECCO_L4_TEMP_SALINITY_LLC0090GRID_MONTHLY_V4R4
ECCO_L4_TEMP_SALINITY_LLC0090GRID_SNAPSHOT_V4R4

The collection names for the daily and monthly mean fields on the 0.5 degree lat-lon grid are:

ECCO_L4_TEMP_SALINITY_05DEG_DAILY_V4R4
ECCO_L4_TEMP_SALINITY_05DEG_MONTHLY_V4R4

Good luck and let us know if you have any issues.

-Ian

On 1/18/22, 10:08 AM, "ecco-support on behalf of Verjans, Vincent N" <ecco-support-bounces at mit.edu<mailto:ecco-support-bounces at mit.edu> on behalf of vverjans3 at gatech.edu<mailto:vverjans3 at gatech.edu>> wrote:

Dear ECCO support team,

I know that the ECCO data portal has been down for a few weeks. However, I noticed that it is possible to download daily data from the NAS ECCO Data Portal (https://data.nas.nasa.gov/ecco/data.php?dir=/eccodata/llc_90/ECCOv4/Release4<https://urldefense.us/v3/__https:/data.nas.nasa.gov/ecco/data.php?dir=*eccodata*llc_90*ECCOv4*Release4__;Ly8vLw!!PvBDto6Hs4WbVuu7!cxlQMcOwyHg7zAUsaWpjryFMaXPfI3OTqbdYZBepbMYMutmCP7aUzDDpGb4gcdcZCtyT$>). I would like to download the daily THETA variable and the daily Salt variable, without downloading each daily file individually. Is there a UNIX-based command for that? I have tried:
wget -r --no-parent --user=vverjans --ask-password https://data.nas.nasa.gov/ecco/data.php?dir=/eccodata/llc_90/ECCOv4/Release4/nctiles_daily/THETA/<https://urldefense.us/v3/__https:/data.nas.nasa.gov/ecco/data.php?dir=*eccodata*llc_90*ECCOv4*Release4*nctiles_daily*THETA*__;Ly8vLy8vLw!!PvBDto6Hs4WbVuu7!cxlQMcOwyHg7zAUsaWpjryFMaXPfI3OTqbdYZBepbMYMutmCP7aUzDDpGb4gccMfHQfp$>

But that does not work. So, what is the best way to download the data?
I thank you in advance for any help provided.

Best regards,
Vincent Verjans