[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] Differences between forcing variables in flux-forced ECCOv4r4

Wang, Ou (US 329B) ou.wang at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 7 16:52:36 EDT 2022

Hi Dafydd,

We need all three variables: saltflx, sflux, and spflx and cannot use only one single flux variable impacting salinity.
The variable “saltflux” is the actual salt exchange between ocean and sea-ice. Salt will be trapped in sea ice when it forms and released to the ocean when sea ice melts. Salt related to this flux will be added to or removed from the surface ocean layer.
The variable “sflux” is virtual salt flux, i.e., the freshwater flux.
The variable “spflx” is the salt flux that is rejected into the ocean during freezing. Salt related to this salt flux gets redistributed vertically through the water column and acts to change the subsurface salinity, which is similar to the impact of the subsurface penetration of shortwave fluxes to temperature.

Similarly, we need both heat flux terms, total (hflux) and shortwave fluxes (swflux). You are right that the latter is needed for subsurface penetration of shortwave fluxes.

The statement in Fukumori et al. (2021) means the heat and freshwater fluxes are prescribed. Changing one will not change the other. While in the bulk-formula version, changing heat flux will change freshwater flux, or vice versa.

Best,
Ou