[ecco-support] Daily heat budget in ECCOv4r4

Ashneel Chandra Ashneel.Chandra at uib.no
Fri Oct 15 06:24:52 EDT 2021

Hi

I am interested in looking at daily heat budgets in ECCOv4r4 and came across the documentation on computing heat budgets tailored for ECCOv4r3 monthly data.
I was able to modify the Matlab script to work with daily data and for the period (2005 – 2015). However, the residual (LHS - RHS of the heat budget) is of comparable magnitude to the temperature tendency (LHS) (see attached figure for a test grid cell). Maybe there is an error in my script which I overlooked (please see attached Matlab script).
I understand that ideally the residual should be just due to rounding errors as papers using the ECCO monthly data I have come across have closed heat budgets.
Is the heat budget closed on daily timesteps? I would assume it is closed at each model timestep.
Your assistance to help me close the daily heat budget will be highly appreciated.

Sincerely

Ashneel Chandra
PhD Candidate in Climate Dynamics
Geophysical Institute