[ecco-support] Where does OBP data before 2002 come from?

Ponte, Rui RPonte at aer.com
Thu Mar 4 07:29:22 EST 2021

Dear Yaohua,

I can try responding and others more familiar with the relevant files can correct me if I say something wrong. There is no ocean bottom pressure data available before the GRACE launch. If there is a gridded OBP data file covering the whole period of the ECCO estimation, it should have NaNs or some other fake value for the period prior to GRACE.

However, if you are interested in ocean bottom pressure values before 2002, you can use the estimates provided by the ECCO solutions (Release 4 covers 1992.1.1 to 2017.12.31).  These estimates are constrained by the GRACE data when such data exists, as well as by all the other data (altimetry, Argo, etc.) that we use in the ECCO optimization.

--
Rui