[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] ECCO ocean current data

Wang, Ou (US 329B) ou.wang at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 18 01:17:23 EDT 2021

Tshikana,

The latest ECCO Central product, Version 4 Release 4 (V4r4), is available from https://podaac.jpl.nasa.gov/ECCO. V4r4 covers the time period 1992-2017. The fields are provided as monthly and daily mean fields on both native model grid and regular lat-lon grid. Click the “Data” button to search for a particular dataset.

For ocean velocity, the zonal and meridional, and vertical velocities on the interpolated regular lat-lon grid are more convenient to use than those on the native grid. Specifically, Ver4’s monthly mean ocean velocity fields on the regular lat-lon grid in NetCDF format are available at https://search.earthdata.nasa.gov/search/granules?p=C1990404823-POCLOUD&tl=1623992294.197!3!!. The variables “EVEL”, “NVEL”, and “WVEL” in each NetCDF file are for the zonal, meridional, and vertical velocities. You can either download all available monthly files (312 files) by clicking the green “Download All” button at the bottom of the page, or download each monthly file individually.

Similarly, V4r4’s daily mean ocean velocity fields on the regular lat-lon grid can be accessed at https://search.earthdata.nasa.gov/search/granules?p=C1990404811-POCLOUD&tl=1623992768.97!3!!.

Best,
Ou