[ecco-support] Undegraduate Seeking to get More Involved with ECCO

Dorrian, Luke J ldorrian3 at gatech.edu
Thu Jul 29 15:50:30 EDT 2021

Hello!

My name is Luke Dorrian and I am a 5th year Environmental Engineering and Ocean Sciences student at Georgia Tech. I have really taken an interest in Physical Oceanography as a career & intend to pursue a PhD in it after undergraduate school. I've also started to get involved with climate modeling at my school working under Dr. Takamitsu Ito to analyze E3SM model's ability to project SSTs for various basins and to devise what can be improved to make a better model output.

I recently came across this team online and wanted to reach out for advice on getting involved with the team. Ocean Circulation fascinates me, particularly thermohaline circulation/AMOC & I would love to pursue a career in which I can use my skills in climate modeling to learn more about the ocean. Does the ECCO team ever recruit interns, or are there other positions in which an undergraduate can join? If not, what do you suggest that I can do to start standing out as a candidate for applications in the future?

Thank you very much!

Luke Dorrian