[ecco-support] Where does OBP data before 2002 come from?

yhzhu@fio.org.cn yhzhu at fio.org.cn
Wed Feb 24 21:17:49 EST 2021

Dear Sir/madam,
We have noticed that the ECCO4 product uses the Ocean Bottom Pressure (OBP) data from 1992.1.1 to 2017.12.31. However, the GRACE satellite was launched in 2002. We are wondering how the grided OBP data before 2002 were obtained? Could you please list some references which validate or examine these data? Also, what is the difference between the grided OBP data  from ECCO website (1992~2017) and those from NASA JPL website (starting in 2002 only)? If we are interested in the OBP data in the South China Sea region, can we use  the one downloaded from ECCO4  between 1992.1.1 and 2017.12.31, or,  better use the segment after 2002?
Your help is much appreciated.
Best regards,
Yaohua Zhu

yhzhu at fio.org.cn