[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] Mapping to Lat-Lon

Fenty, Ian G (US 329C) ian.fenty at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Jul 18 03:43:57 EDT 2020

Deb,

I can't give you any help with the xgcm.  We do have a (growing) library of tutorials describing how to use the ecco-v4-py library to work with ECCOv4 Release 3 and Release 4.  The tutorials describe the ECCOv4 netCDF fields, the grid and grid coordinate system, different plotting tools, and provide code examples for a number of different calculations.  While ecco-v4-py does *use* xgcm for some backend stuff, I've never used their LLCMapper.  Our "plot_proj_to_latlon_grid" routine probably does something similar.

For plotting help see the tutorial "Plotting Tiles": https://ecco-v4-python-tutorial.readthedocs.io/ECCO_v4_Plotting_Tiles.html <https://ecco-v4-python-tutorial.readthedocs.io/ECCO_v4_Plotting_Tiles.html#>

Your email reminded me that I had a new tutorial 90% written about how to interpolate scalar and vector fields from the ECCOv4 llc90 grid to regular lat-lon grids.  I finished it and it is now online here:

https://ecco-v4-python-tutorial.readthedocs.io/ECCO_v4_Interpolating_Fields_to_Lat-Lon_Grid.html

I would not advise you to *start* with that tutorial, however.  Later chapters build on earlier ones.

Ian