[ecco-support] [EXTERNAL] Difference in sea surface salinity regarding the ECCO v4r3 and v4r4

Fenty, Ian G (US 329C) ian.fenty at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Feb 16 13:33:16 EST 2020

Hao,

You are correct in your guesses: profiles were reweighted between v4r3 and v4r4 and new data were added from gliders and moorings.  However, the differences in your plot seem to be rather large.   We’ll take a closer look and see if there is another explanation.

Unrelated to your question, the ‘stripe’ patterns in plot may be due to the different interpolation scheme.  These v4r4 lat-lon fields are taken from the ‘nearest neighbor’ from the model grid while the lat-lon fields from v4r3 may have been calculated using bilinear interpolation.

Ian