[ecco-support] Cost function calculation problems when changing number of cores in ECCOv4-r4

Dan Jones dcjones.work at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 10:41:05 EST 2020

Hello,

I am attempting to carry out some scaling tests on an HPC platform using
ECCOv4-r4. As part of the scaling exercises, I change the number of cores
using the procedure below.

If I want to use 360 cores, I use the following procedure. Before
compiling, I change the following parameters in SIZE.h:

sNx = 15
sNy = 15
nPx = 360
nPy = 1

Based on my experience with ECCOv4-r3, I believe this should give me an
executable that uses 360 cores. At run-time, I uncomment the lines
following #15x15 nprocs=360 and comment out the lines for the nprocs=96
case. I also have a configuration that uses nprocs=192. In all three cases,
the code compiles and runs.

However, I noticed that the cost function changes dramatically based on the
number of cores, and it sometimes returns NaN. In both forward and adjoint
mode, I get the following values for "fc" in the file named
costfunction0129:

96 cores, fc = 6733184.16
192 cores, fc = NaN
360 cores, fc = 5883940.61

What am I missing in terms of calculating the cost function and changing
the number of cores? Shouldn't fc be the same regardless of the number of
cores used?

Best regards,
Dan

Dr Dan Jones / British Antarctic Survey