[ecco-support] Budgets in ECv4, release 3

Martha Buckley marthabuckley at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 11:56:58 EST 2017

I didn't chose the most instructive colorbar to show the magnitude of the
errors. Attached are plots with colorbars to indicate the magnitude of the
errors.  In particular, note that the errors due to single precision in the
mass budget are on the order of 10% (saturated on the 1% colorbar).  Note
these are the errors for a particular time step based on monthly output.

The issue with budgets with single precision output is that the tendancy is
always a small residual of larger terms.  While of course the uncertainty
of ECCO estimates is larger than even these 10% errors, I think this is not
particularly relevant to this discussion.  ECCO in the end is also a
forward model and MITgcm developers have take great pains to insure that
budgets close.  I don't know why we'd sacrifice the ability to close
budgets rigorously in order to save a factor of 2 in space by storing as
single precision.   Also, for the user it is a lot easier if the budgets
close to machine precision rather than having a user wonder if an error is
"acceptable" or not.

Martha