[ecco-support] Budgets in ECv4, release 3

Martha Buckley marthabuckley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 13:04:43 EDT 2017

Hi Ou,
Thanks for the reply.  Can you tell me more about the type of budget that
you closed, e.g., the diagnostic (mass, heat, salt, etc) and the
layer/geographical area.  The reason that I am asking is that a budget over
a single grid cell may not need 64-bit precision, but when integrating over
depth, etc, the errors may accumulate.  I am currently looking at budgets
over the top 1000m for mass, heat, salt.

A very long time ago, I did a budget calculation using MITgcm output that
did not close due to 32-bit output, and I changed to 64-bit output and it
closed (since then I have always used 64-bit output so I haven't verified
that this is necessary).

thanks,
Martha

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 12:03 AM, Wang, Ou (329B) <Ou.Wang at jpl.nasa.gov>
wrote:

> Hi Martha,
>
> I have closed the heat budget for the global ocean using the nctiles
> output available on ftp://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/Version4/Release3/. The ratio
> of STD(tendency-convergences-forcing)/STD(tendency) is ~1e-7.
>
> Although the netCDF files are all in 64-bit precision, some of the
> original binary diagnostic outputs that were converted to the tiled netCDF
> files are in 32-bit precision. So apparently it is not necessary for the
> files to be in 64-bit precision to close budgets.
>
> Release 3 has geothermal flux. See Section 4.2.1 (page 10) of Chris
> Piecuch’s note
> <ftp://ecco.jpl.nasa.gov/Version4/Release3/doc/evaluating_budgets_in_eccov4r3.pdf> on
> budget calculation.
>
> Regards,
> Ou Wang
>
> From: <ecco-support-bounces at mit.edu> on behalf of Martha Buckley <
> marthabuckley at gmail.com>
> Date: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 7:35 AM
> To: "ECCO support list, wider membership" <ecco-support at mit.edu>
> Subject: [ecco-support] Budgets in ECv4, release 3
>
> Hi all,
> I am trying to close mass, heat, and salt budgets in ECCo v4 release 3.  I
> closed the budgets to machine precision ((tendancy - ocean convergences -
> surfaceFluxes)/tendancy  ~ 1e-7)) for an older iteration.  However, I
> unable to close the budgets to machine precision for the files on the
> website for release3 (the budgets visually look fine though).
>
> I'm trying to figure out if I have a bug in my code or if something
> changed with the new output.  A few questions:
> (1) Are the files 64-bit precision, which is needed to close budgets? This
> seems to be the case since ncdump says the files are "double".
> (2) Did anything change between "r2/iter3" and release3 that might explain
> this?
> (3) Has anyone closed budgets for release3 using the nctiles output
> available on the ECCO website?
> thanks,
> Martha
>

> --