[ecco-support] ECCO Mixed Layer Depths criteria

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at ucsd.edu
Tue May 2 23:19:46 EDT 2017

In the Southern Ocean (and probably the Arctic too) we often see temperature restratification lagging behind freshwater restratification. Basically initial spring/summer warming is absorbed by the latent heat of melting ice. The water column freshens at the surface but the temperature doesn’t start increasing until much of the ice has melted. I forget the lag time, but it can be something like weeks. Thus the water column has restratified but the T threshold wouldn’t record it until the ice was mostly gone

Matt