[ecco-support] ECCO Mixed Layer Depths criteria

Martha Buckley marthabuckley at gmail.com
Tue May 2 21:35:31 EDT 2017

Thanks for pointing this out Dimitris. Is this because the variable nature
of the density criteria is based on the thermal expansion coefficient, so
one choses too small of a threshold in these regions?  I guess using a
variable density criteria is supposed to help remove deep biases in cold
regions, but if it messes up regions that have a halocline, this isn't
desirable.  What do you recommend using as a MLD criteria in polar regions?
thanks,
Martha

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 12:31 PM, Menemenlis, Dimitris (329C) <
Dimitris.Menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> The Kara et al mixed layer definition unfortunately does not work well in
> salt-stratified mixed layers, i.e., polar regions.
>
> > On May 2, 2017, at 8:49 AM, Martha Buckley <marthabuckley at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Regarding the different criteria in different regions, I thought that
> using a density equivalent of a temperature threshold took care of this to
> some degree since the thermal expansion coefficient is smaller at low
> temperatures.

Martha W. Buckley
marthabuckley at gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/marthabuckley/home