[ecco-support] ECCO Mixed Layer Depths criteria

Martha Buckley marthabuckley at gmail.com
Tue May 2 11:03:19 EDT 2017

Thanks Ian!  I understand that the MLD definition used for the MXLDEPTH has
no effect on the solution and one can pick alternative definitions.  Thanks
for pointing me to Gael's work comparing definitions.  The Kara criteria
(0.8 C density equivalent) and the Suga criteria (0.125 kg/m^3) seem quite
similar, but the DeBoyer one (0.2 C or 0.03 kg/m^3) is not surprisingly
shallower.  It seems that applying the smaller criteria to instantaneous
model profiles may be more justifiable, since the Kara criteria was
selected for application to monthly gridded observations (although the Sugo
criteria is large too, and that study used observational profiles not
gridded data).

The best approach for an alternative MLD definition is re-running the model
of course, but this isn't an option for me each of the different data
products I am comparing.  Typically what seems to be done is that if one is
using monthly averaged output (or monthly gridded observations) one picks a
larger criteria (usually ~0.5 C or 0.125 kg/m^3).  The funny thing is that
the MLD diagnostic in ECCO is computed using this relatively large criteria
for the instantaneous profiles.  It seems that this was an arbitrary
choice, however.

thanks!
Martha

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 10:44 PM, Fenty, Ian G (329C) <Ian.Fenty at jpl.nasa.gov