[ecco-support] ECCO Mixed Layer Depths criteria

Martha Buckley marthabuckley at gmail.com
Mon May 1 12:50:46 EDT 2017

One follow up question regarding mixed layer depths in ECCO.

What is the criteria for the variable "MXLDEPTH" in the ecco v4 product.  I
think I recall being told it is the density equivalent of 0.8C.  Two
questions:
(1) Is this the criteria that was used?  It the criteria applied to model
profiles at the model timestep?
(2) If so, isn't this criteria a bit large?  0.125 kg/m^3 or 0.5C seem
common MLD criteria when applying criteria to monthly-averaged data.
However, criteria that are smaller (~0.03 kg/m^3 or ~0.2 C) are typically
applied when using raw observational profiles.

I know that the MLD criteria is somewhat arbitrary, but I want an idea of
the rational for the chosen criteria.
Thanks!
Martha

> [...]

Martha W. Buckley