[ecco-support] Access to ECCOV4

Ligc liguancheng15 at mails.ucas.ac.cn
Wed Apr 19 11:27:02 EDT 2017

Dear Mr. Ian,
Recently, i have succeed to close the salinity budget in one model tracer grid cell, following with the forced advection-diffusive equation and the introduction of salinity budget in MITgcm. But there are still some problem, so i am looking forward for your helpless if it is convenient.
For example, when i chose a salinity grid cell, located at (142.5 E,27.4728 N), which means ix=72, iy=1, where is dominanted by freshwater forcing, the salinity budget was closed in most of layer(iz) using by the advection and diffusive terms.  And even if i calculated the salinity budget in its surface layer(iz=1), it had been closed only used both of them without considering the air-sea freshwater flux term.
So Firstly, i don't know how to calculate the tendency due to freshwater term because of its unit(kg/(m^2*s)) and estimate the importance of surface forcing terms.
Then, the introduction in MITgcm suggests me calculate the tendency due to surface layer in salt flux by SFLUX term and the tendency due to surface mass correction. So could you tell me the relationship between them and 'oceFWLX'.
Finally, When i use the salinity tracer grid (iz=k) to calculate the salinity tendency, the vertical flux transports are the difference between the upper face(iz=k) and the bottom face(iz=k+1). But i find that the salinity tracer cell(iz=k) is not at the center of these two faces , and "iz=k+1" is. For example, if i want to close the salinity cell budget at depth 15m(iz=2), the vertical flux term should be located at the depth 20m(iz=2) and 30m(iz=3).So how to explain this choice?
Thank you for your patient reading! I really appreciate you help!

Best regards,
Guancheng