[Dspace-general] Dspace general installation problems

Tim Donohue tdonohue at duraspace.org
Tue Jan 19 10:49:10 EST 2010

Amjad,

First off, I'm copying this answer over to the 'dspace-tech' mailing
list.  The 'dspace-tech' list is the place where we recommend that you
post problems with installations or just general questions about
configurations, settings, etc.  More information about the 'dspace-tech'
list is available here:

http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/DSpaceResources#English_Lists

On 1/19/2010 8:38 AM, AMJAD USMAN wrote:
> I am a new user to Dspace and facing the following problems.
>
> Problem 1.
> (In JSPUI case)
> It properly creates Communities, collections, E-users, Groups, etc.
> but when i try to submit any document like article to the collection,
> then it gives system internal error after "document uploading" step.
>
> Problem 2.
> (In XMLUI case)
> It gives error when i press "complete submission" button during item
> submission in xml user interface.

In your first two problems, it'd be useful for us if you could see the
error messages from your log files, when you encounter these problems in
the JSPUI and XMLUI.  In particular, you'd want to look for errors in
these logs:

[dspace]/log/dspace.log
[tomcat]/logs/*

More information is available on our Wiki page on How to Troubleshoot an
Error with DSpace:
http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/Troubleshoot_an_error

> Problem 3.
> after properly installing dspace, when i make any changes in the
> config.xml file of the dspace, then they donot apply to dspace instance;
> means those changes donot appear in the dspace user interface.

I'm assuming by 'config.xml' you probably mean the main 'dspace.cfg'
file.  You should make sure you are editing the dspace.cfg file within
the Installation directory [dspace]/config/, instead of the Source code
directory [dspace-src]/dspace/config/

You also will need to restart Tomcat for your dspace.cfg changes to be
seen within the XMLUI or JSPUI.

There's more information around modifying your dspace.cfg settings in
the latest DSpace Documentation:

http://scm.dspace.org/svn/repo/dspace/trunk/dspace/docs/html/index.html

You'll also want to specifically look more closely at the
"Configuration" chapter:
http://scm.dspace.org/svn/repo/dspace/trunk/dspace/docs/html/ch05.html