[Dspace-general] non-unique handle keys

Saeed Moaddeli s.moaddeli at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 04:41:30 EST 2010

Hi,
I have faced the following error after installing a fresh DSpace and
importing 2-3 thousands items into the repository. I wanted to preserve the
handles for the imported items so I removed the URI element from
dublin_core.xml file and just kept the handle file for each exported
package. The Import process completed successfully with no problem.
I put some wok-flows on my collections and started to submit items manually.
The submission completes and the item gets in to the related work-flow. The
internal system error shows up when the collection admin presses the button
for sending the item in to the repository.
The weird thing is after this error; the user's workspace is empty without
any messages or anything, empty at all.
I tried to find the cause of this error but found nothing. I need to resolve
this ASAP because this is a production repository. I looked in to the
database and noticed that unlike my other DSpace installation, the handle_id
(item internal ID) and and the second part of the handle in the "handle"
table are not the same. I am not sure whether this may be the problem or
not.
I am looking forward for all comments and solutions,
Bests,
Saeed

*here is the Error:*

2010-01-01 16:10:26,958 WARN  org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet @
saeed at repo-ei.org:session_id=8472C2F50C508757D5E2DB93E432DB7A:ip_addr=
192.168.123.156:*database_error:org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR:
duplicate key violates unique constraint "handle_handle_key"*
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: duplicate key violates unique
constraint "handle_handle_key"
        at
org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.receiveErrorResponse(QueryExecutorImpl.java:1512)
        at
org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.processResults(QueryExecutorImpl.java:1297)
        at
org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.execute(QueryExecutorImpl.java:188)
        at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.execute(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:430)
        at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeWithFlags(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:346)
        at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeUpdate(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:300)
        at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:101)
        at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:101)
        at
org.dspace.storage.rdbms.DatabaseManager.execute(DatabaseManager.java:1301)
        at
org.dspace.storage.rdbms.DatabaseManager.update(DatabaseManager.java:657)
        at
org.dspace.handle.HandleManager.createHandle(HandleManager.java:174)
        at org.dspace.content.InstallItem.installItem(InstallItem.java:110)
        at org.dspace.content.InstallItem.installItem(InstallItem.java:72)
        at
org.dspace.workflow.WorkflowManager.archive(WorkflowManager.java:650)
        at
org.dspace.workflow.WorkflowManager.doState(WorkflowManager.java:604)
        at
org.dspace.workflow.WorkflowManager.advance(WorkflowManager.java:369)
        at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.MyDSpaceServlet.processPerformTask(MyDSpaceServlet.java:442)
        at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.MyDSpaceServlet.doDSPost(MyDSpaceServlet.java:131)
        at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.processRequest(DSpaceServlet.java:147)
        at
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet.doPost(DSpaceServlet.java:105)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:710)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)
        at
org.dspace.app.webui.filter.RegisteredOnlyFilter.doFilter(RegisteredOnlyFilter.java:98)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:215)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:174)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:108)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:174)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:874)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:665)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:528)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:81)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:689)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Saeed Moaddeli
IT Department
Encyclopaedia of Iranian Architectural History
No.2175 Valiasr Ave. Tehran 1511913511, Iran
Tel: +98 (21) 88728125-7 W3: http://eiah.org