[Dspace-general] Take the DuraSpace “Small Archives Group” Preservation Survey

Carol Minton Morris clt6 at cornell.edu
Thu Oct 22 10:56:52 EDT 2009

--sent via Ari Davidow--

Small archives represent the long tail of cultural heritage. Most of
us are coping with inadequate resources available for addressing our
primary missions, and lack the time, staff, skills, and other
resources to address long-term access to that cultural heritage. This
includes the challenge of locating and securing tools and resources to
address the long-term preservation required to assure that access.

The mission of the DuraSpace Small Archives Group is to address these
needs. As a community, not only can we further preservation access and
foster knowledge  sharing, but we can collaborate. This community is
intended for the thousands of small cultural heritage organizations
who lack resources to implement a solution on their own. For most of
us, a “small archive” is a cultural heritage institution with one or
fewer software developers on staff, perhaps even without an active
webmaster.

To ensure that we are focusing on those concerns most relevant to
small archives, we would appreciate your responses to a short (10-15
minutes) survey to better understand what is being done, and what is
needed to ensure long-term access and preservation in small cultural
heritage institutions.

http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/?p=WEB229DKEFJWUP

We hope to share results of the survey at a BOF session at the Museum
Computer Network conference in  Portland, OR on November 11-14, 2009
and at the DISH conference in Rotterdam, The Netherlands on December
8-10, 2009.  We will also share results and information online at our
wiki home.

You can find out more about the Small Archives group at:
http://fedora-commons.org/confluence/display/FCCWG/Small+Archives

Click on "Get Involved!" to find out how you can be part of the
DuraSpace Small Archives group.

We greatly appreciate your participation.

Ari Davidow
Director of Online Strategy
Jewish Women's Archive
http://jwa.org/