[Dspace-general] is this a bug?

Stuart Lewis s.lewis at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Oct 6 18:22:29 EDT 2009

Hi Ann,

We’re running 1.5.2.  The error message reads: “org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index community_name_key”
I’m trying to create two sub-communities with the same name, but dspace doesn’t like it.  These sub-communities are within two different communities [one is in a student community and one is in a faculty community], so I don’t see why it should be a problem; thus my query as to whether the issue is a bug, or something that just can’t be done.

Which version are you running? This bug was fixed in version 1.4. (http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/DSpace_Release_1.4.0_Notes)

If you are using a later version: what sort of error message does DSpace show when trying to create the sub-communities?

Is this an instance of DSpace that has been upgraded over the years from a version earlier than 1.4?

If so, then in the upgrade steps from 1.3 to 1.4, a bunch of SQL commands should have been run. One of these is:

ALTER TABLE community DROP CONSTRAINT community_name_key;

This should have removed that constraint that is stopping you from creating the identically-named sub-community. Try running that command in your database (subject to the usual advice of taking a backup of your system and database first!).

Thanks,

Stuart Lewis
IT Innovations Analyst and Developer
Te Tumu Herenga The University of Auckland Library
Auckland Mail Centre, Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Ph: 64 9 373-7599 x81928
http://www.library.auckland.ac.nz/