[Dspace-general] Import metadata without items

Filippos Kolovos filippos at uom.gr
Fri Nov 13 00:29:02 EST 2009

Dear Sir,

Both methods are adequate to serve the purpose. The hanlde goes with the item and not with the bistream,
so you can easily create items without bitstreams and when the bitstreams are available you can add them
subsequently.

I would go for the second method that you describe below, i.e. add the items without bistreams and when the pdfs
are available add them as well. However, in order to do that you have to be using a new version of Dspace, (1.5, or later),
where in its dspace.cfg you will be able to initially disable the "bitstream required" flag in order to add the items without bitstreams
and then re-enable it. That option in the dspace.cfg file is the webui.submit.upload.required parameter, which
when it is set to false, the user that will be inserting a new item, will be given the option to skip the bitstream addition when she/he reaches this step
in the submission process.

Later on, via the "edit item" menus in the collection administration environment of the dspace you will be able to add the bistream to the item.

Hope to have helped,

Best regards,

-Fk
  Message: 1