[Dspace-general] Import metadata without items

Marvin Weaver mweaver at sju.edu
Thu Nov 12 10:58:08 EST 2009

I crosslisted this in both general and technical as I don't know which
it really belongs to.

We are planning to develop a Dspace repository for our faculty
publications.  Initially, all we will have is the metadata.  The plan is
to use grad assistants to acquire pdfs and  research the rights for each
article or object and add these to the repository.  The metadata is to
be extracted from several databases and  imjested into Dspace so we at
least have a complete bibliography in one place.

Should a standard pdf, e.g., "No pdf available at this time" be added as
the bitstream object at time of creation so a handle can be created and
reserved or should the metadata be imported with no object and the
object and handle be created when the object becomes available?  Or is
there another way to handle this situation?

Thank you
Marvin Weaver
Saint Joseph's University
Philadelphia, PA 19004