[Dspace-general] statistics in 1.6?

Stuart Lewis s.lewis at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Nov 2 16:13:31 EST 2009

Hi Alice,

> During the DuraSpace webinar on September 30, it was mentioned that
> the statistics for DSpace would be enhanced in 1.6, but the speaker
> was unable to elaborate in what ways. He said the specific features
> would probably be hammered out at the User Group meeting in October.
>
> So I’m wondering… do we know? Thanks!

As the release co-ordinator for 1.6, I'll explain what is coming with
the new stats, and give a brief update about the general progress of
1.6.

As you know, better statistics was the the number one feature in the
community survey of the most wanted new features for 1.6. Mark Diggory
and other staff members from @mire (atmire.com) have written a new
statistics collection and query service based on solr (http://lucene.apache.org/solr/
). This allows real-time collection of events (item views, file
downloads, searches) to be stored, indexed, and then quickly searched.
In addition it has the ability to record extra information such as the
geographic location of the user based on their IP address.

At present the statistics collection works well, and the user
interfaces are being developed. @mire are contributing the XMLUI
interface, while Kim Shepherd from the Library Consortium of New
Zealand (http://www.lconz.ac.nz/) has begun work on a JSPUI interface.
An example of an early test of the XMLUI interface can be seen at http://testathon.net/xmlui/handle/123456789/31
  You'll notice that as you refresh the page, the statistics update.

It is likely that 1.6 will only contain basic reporting functions, but
with the inclusion of solr and the event collection framework, we can
build new and better reports in subsequent versions. Feedback on the
initial release will be important for the community to decide what
reports need to be created for future versions. It will also be
possible to write custom local reports by querying the solr indexes
directly.

We also hope to release a tool to transfer legacy dspace.log file
statistics into solr so that you do not lose any of your current
statistics. The current statistics system will remain - its future has
yet to be decided.

Once the statistics system has been finished to an acceptable
standard, we'll move to a testing phase and run a testathon / bug
hunt. The whole community will be invited and encouraged to make use
of some test servers that will be setup, or to test on local copies.
We'll also be looking for volunteers to perform test upgrades of
earlier versions to ensure the upgrade documentation is good. Once
that is finished, we'll fix any bugs, perform some further testing,
then release 1.6.

Some of the other features to make it into 1.6 include:
  - An embargo framework
  - A batch metadata editing system
  - Authority control lists and AJAX lookups
  - Delegated administrator roles
  - OAI-PMH harvesting support (to harvest other repositories into
your DSpace repository)
  - A new 'services' infrastructure
  - OpenSearch support
  - New DSpace command launcher (full support for Unix and Windows
systems)
  - A new zip option for the importer and exporter
  - Dozens of bug fixes and small improvements

Thanks,

Stuart Lewis
IT Innovations Analyst and Developer
Te Tumu Herenga The University of Auckland Library
Auckland Mail Centre, Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Ph: 64 9 373-7599 x81928
http://www.library.auckland.ac.nz/